DTX FORUM

Got questions? The DTX community is here to help.

The mail function has been disabled by an administrator.

1. Glenn
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. Saturday, 23 November 2019
Hello:

I'm enjoying my DTX532K set which includes two PCY135 (three zone) cymbals: one for the ride, one for the crash. I wanted to add another cymbal to my setup and purchased another PCY135. I plugged it into the extra jack on the kick pad, but it is only a single zone pad.

I guess that this is expected (after reading the documentation).

Is there any other way to get a 3rd three zone cymbal to this system? I don't want to give up my hi-hat or snare. Does this mean that I'm out of luck?

Thanks,
Glenn
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
3-zone? Nope, sorry.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
I thought we are able to tap into the unused channels that the toms are plugged into. The toms are only single zones, but are using up 2 channels. Can we not split one tom input and use the kick input to have a fully operating 3 zone cymbal?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hey Keith, from what I can gather, it seems you are thinking of using a combination of splitter cables to route the individual zones of the cymbal to the kick pad input and extra tom input.

I do not think it will work this way unfortunately. You can try and experiment and let us know what you find, but I think that the kick and tom input will still only recognize the cymbal pad itself as a single zone. You will however get two different sounds playing at once if you strike the cymbal, because the signal is going through two inputs. What I think will end up happening is a layer effect where for instance, Pad 8 (kick) and Pad 10 (tom) will get triggered at the same time.

Basically, you will end up with two different sounds being played at once (pretty cool actually) no matter which zone you strike on the pad. I don't think you will be able to trigger the individual zones unfortunately. It's just how the module and pad wiring works.

But if you do end up with as different result, please let us know! I am curious.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Yes Ian... You are correct. That is the way it works. Damn. I was so hoping it would work... It made sense in my mind. When i hit the cymbal it activates two inputs just like you said. There doesnt seem to be a way to only have it actuate one zone at a time. Even though i go into the module and tell it that those two triggers are a pcy135. Nothing i would do would make it recognize separate zones.... :(
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Aw man! Yea I was hoping there would be a chance that something could work, darn. I guess there really is no way to have the two different inputs trigger different zones from the same pad. I guess the wiring and programming of the module just makes it impossible. Sorry!! At least we now know the limitations.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Keith wrote:

I thought we are able to tap into the unused channels that the toms are plugged into. The toms are only single zones, but are using up 2 channels. Can we not split one tom input and use the kick input to have a fully operating 3 zone cymbal?

Still nope.

The PCY135 has only one piezo - and two switches to determine the zone.

The piezo picks up the hit and velocity, the combination of switches tells the module which zone was hit.

If you split the PCY135 output, you'll end up with pizeo on one input (which will work) and switch(es) on the other (which won't).
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. DTX502 Series
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
2020 © Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.